This blog post, again for the Australia Counselling website, looks at the important distinction between sharing your difficulties with a friend and how a therapist approaches what seems like a conversation but actually entails much, much more. I wrote this one because it is an important question many people have when thinking about seeing a therapist.
Key points from the blog post include:
- Therapist have a theoretical framework to help you look at your concerns.
- There should always be a clear contract between therapist and client which looks at the business and therapy goals.
- Strict boundaries, held by the therapist, are key to the success of therapy.
- Therapists hold patient safety and legal considerations uppermost in their minds when working with clients.
- Confidentiality is an ethical and professional responsibility which therapists take very seriously.
In the article I expand on these points in some detail so I invite you to read the full article here.